Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Top of the Morning to You!

I am currently sitting at a Starbucks on Post Oak Blvd and 610 awaiting a 7:30 meeting at a nearby office building. The meeting was organized by my good friend and former board member, Jody Johnston. He asked me if he could arrange this breakfast so that he could invite some colleagues to come and learn more about Transform Ministries and give them the opportunity to support the ministry. I agreed to come and share with the group what God has been doing and how we have seen and experienced the Gospel transform lives through the ministry over the years. More than gaining financial supporters, my prayer is to make some new friends that will faithfully pray for us. If the Lord compels them to give, I wouldn't deny them that joy, however. ;-)

In other news, I have been greatly enjoying my time off from school. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and I love the fellowship I have with my fellow students and the professors, but I needed a break. In hindsight I am glad that I took 12 hours. While my grades may not have been as high as they would have been with 6 hours, I ended up doing pretty well. Plus, Steph and I are both at a place where I need to be done with this (6 year) season of our lives. This revelation (of my impending graduation) often illicits the following question, "What are you going to do next?"

My first response to this question is, "Geez, let a brother catch his breath!" Then I start asking internal questions like, "Do these people think that I haven't been doing anything 'grown-up' over the past 6 years?" This question isn't meant to reflect any sense of discouragement, but more curiosity. Perhaps my being in grad school causes people to think that I can't really do anything serious until after I receive my masters. Or, some people, because of their faith background, are used to 'pastors' not being able to 'pastor' until they get the credentials. Regardless, I understand that most of the time the question, "What's next?" is a natural question, which I don't mind answering.

This, however, begs the question, "What is next?" As of right now, nothing really new, but more time to invest into what I am currently doing; traveling & preaching, running Transform Ministries, Community Pastoring at Christ Church, building websites, helping out at Faith Mission, and leading a discipleship class at Brenham Christian Academy. For now there isn't any desire to look for a 'real job', i.e. a higher paying ministry position at a large church. Instead, I'd rather take the energy currently being budgeted towards my education and poor it into ministry endeavors. The rest is still yet to be revealed (further education, future ministry opps, etc.).

Well, I need to head out to the meeting. Thanks for taking the time to read.

4 comments:

Erin said...

First of all, I really want a peppermint mocha now, thanks.
And secondly, if I were to ask that question (which I may have prior to this...) it would be because I think people assume that someone enters something like grad school in order to enable them to do something...not necessarily bigger or more important but something closer to what they desire or feel led to. That's all. So it is a natural question, not one meant to make you feel pressured to get on with something bigger and better and higher paying! I'm sure you already know this or your loving wife has pointed it out, but there ya go. I felt like saying it!
Love ya! Glad you're done and enjoying it!

Casey Cease said...

Ms. Erin,

Thank you for the clarification. However, you and your hubby are always welcome to ask whatever loaded questions you want without qualifying it. You probably know this already, our your loving husband has pointed it out, but there ya go... ;-)

Peace,
-C

James Lane said...

Hey I'm just glad that after 6 years you haven't been talked out of doing what your doing.

Casey Cease said...

Oh, James, they have tried! ;-)

C-