Thursday, February 10, 2011

Suffer Well or Grumble

Cheesy Picture Intentional
I thought my fever was gone and I was on the mend.  I know better than that, but what's wrong with being hopeful?  As I laid in bed, wearing pajama pants, socks, t-shirt, and a fleece, while underneath a sheet, blanket, and comforter shivering, I was reminded that I have a choice, even when I suffer of who or what I will worship.

This point was even more poignant because my little girl, B, has a low fever as well, so we were sitting in the 'sick bed' together.  Not to be so self-centered as to think that it's all up to me for my daughter to fall in love with Jesus, but I can set an example for her in all aspects of my life, including suffering.

The 'self-centered' caveat may not even be necessary, but I do have a fever and I don't want to miscommunicate.

Rumor has it, men are wussies when they are sick (True).  Also, as I mentioned in my previous blog, we have our next preview service for our church plant this Sunday.  I have a choice to either shake my fist at the Heavens (misplaced angst) or rest in the sovereignty and goodness of God.  After all, I preach of a big God who is in control, so it would be prudent to live in view of that, would it not?

To be honest, I have been tempted a few times to grumble about being sick, and may have once or twice (or 12 times), but I am aware that God is in control and I can rest in Him.

Here are a few things I have learned:

  1. God is the One who will build His church.  There is only so much that I can do to gather people, but at the end of the day, it is His.
  2. My wife and daughter, whom I have the great privilege and responsibility to lead, get to see up close whether or not I live what I say what I believe and what I teach others. (Thank God they are super gracious!)
  3. "God uses all things for the good of those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose." - Romans 8:28 -  While I may not see it at this moment, I am very hopeful.
Thanks for all of the prayers and encouragement.

No comments: