Thursday, April 03, 2008

Getting Things Done

Yes. That was my office (and our dog Tucker). As you can see, it had become quite a mess! Most of it is my fault, but I had a little help from our sweet 21 month old daughter as she likes to play with stuff in Daddy's office. It had recently gotten to the point where I no longer wanted to work in my office. Instead, I would grab my laptop and head to the dining room to work. However, that was not always profitible because I have a 21 month old daughter (see above).

I recently started reading a book called Getting Things Done by David Allen. It was recommended to me several years ago by my good friend Rod Brace who is one of the most organized people that I have ever met. I tried the basics a few years back, but as you can see above, they didn't stick. After getting fed up once again with my disorganized life, I realized that the best thing for me to do was to suck it up and begin to get things done.

Last week I set aside some time, purchased the office supplies I would need to implement the process and I got to work.



I got to work at about 7:15 am and was not finished until about 6 pm that night. No lie. It took forever, BUT it was well worth it!




As of Wednesday this week, I have been using my system for one week and I am really getting things done! Is your life unorganized? If so, you are probably overwhelmed by all that has to get done, things being overlooked, or outright forgetting to do things. Let this be an encouragement to you, you can get things done! Let me know if I can help.

4 comments:

Steph said...

It looks great Cas! I'll try to keep Braelyn from undoing what you've done. :) She's just so fast and sneaky! I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Casey! You and I both have the messy bug I am afraid. However, like you I have been improving my cleanliness in the house and in the car. I feel much better when the house and car are clean!

Love you
Alicia

Rod Brace said...

Stick with it and you'll earn your official GTD'er badge.

Sheridan said...

Casey, Your office looks FANTASTIC. There's just something about a clean work environment that just makes work a little less stressful.

You should know that our sound guy from DNow is no longer at the church. He left voluntarily about a month ago.

We had Chris Stieb a sound technician from the Bridge Fellowship and student at HBU come out and revamp the Sanctuary. It's INCREDIBLE. We gutted tons of stuff from the sound room. It is totally clean and streamlined and easy for a lay person to operate. We're so excited about what this is going to do for the ministry of the church!

Sheridan