Sunday, August 03, 2008

Tired of Toiling

“Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist.”
(Proverbs 23:4 ESV)

I'm a busy guy. I like to do a lot of things. But lately, it has become more of a 'have to' with many things and less of a 'get to'. I run a ministry (paid), am one of the pastors of a church (jewels in my crown), and started a pressure washing business (paid, most of the time). I enjoy each one very much, but as of the last 6 months or so we have had a heck of a time making ends meet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the struggle and value it's importance in our sanctification. Also, I understand that being the head of my family sometimes requires me to have to say 'no' or a 'not right now,' but I never thought it would become so frequent. I am not opposed to working hard and I don't want to point the finger, blame the economy, or gas prices. However, I am pretty tired and a bit discouraged. My good friend Kempton one time warned me not to grab Hagar to make an Ishmael when God had been promising Isaac (See Genesis 16). So, I don't want to run after or invent one business/job/ministry opportunity or another, especially just for money, however I don't want to miss the 'life raft' and call it waiting on God, when I'm just being complacent.

Please do not read this and feel sorry for me. I believe James 1:2-4. Please just pray for us that God would meet some specific needs and give us some rest.




2 comments:

Steph said...

Do not weary yourself to gain wealth,
Cease from your consideration of it.
When you set your eyes on it, it is gone.
For wealth certainly makes itself wings
Like an eagle that flies toward the heavens.
Proverbs 23:4-5

I love this verse...in a I-want-to-throw-my-Bible-across-the-room kind of way.

Thanks for all your hard work, honey. You take care of us so well. I have a feeling that the Lord is going to do some pruning in this area of our lives. It's gonna hurt, but I'm glad we can go through it together.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

I have learned a great lesson from the Cease family...that is, give and you shall receive. You have given graciously to the Moore's when we were beyond our means. God teaches you things when times are hard, that you would not pay attention to if life was easy. Life was a little too hard for awhile, but thanks to people like yourself, we have made it through, and it is our turn to help others. Please let us know how we can help, we have ideas, but if you have a specific need, please tell us. We are your friends, and friends are here in the hard times. We love you guys and want to return the gracious gifts given unto us. Much love, the Moore's!